Dear Brookhaven Bear families,
Welcome to the 2016-2017 school year! I am very excited for school to start next week, Monday, August 29. I am honored to be the new Principal at Brookhaven and to join our stellar staff and community.
Please take a moment to read through this newsletter for important information regarding the start of school. Be sure to subscribe to our Bear Paw newsletter. By doing this, our newsletter will be delivered instantly to your email inbox each time one is published. Also, please take a moment to like our Brookhaven Facebook page to see updates, celebrations, and school events. My goal is to have any information you need available to you on our school website, through our Bear Paw newsletter, or on our Facebook page. Please continue to visit our website as it is being updated often. I will send a Parentlink phone call to you from time to time as well.
Class List Postings and Principal Meet & Greet:
All class lists will be posted on Friday, August 26 at 4:30 PM in the front of school. PTA will be there to sell Spirit Wear, cold treats, and to greet families. Please join me on Monday, August 29 at 8:00 AM in our MPR for a Principal Meet & Greet. I look forward to meeting our Bear families!
First Day of School Procedures:
- School begins at 7:50 AM for all students. Students should arrive and walk to their class line on the blacktop to meet their teacher. Parents are welcome to walk their child(ren) to class lines for the first three days of school. Beginning on Thursday of the first week, parents will drop students off at the front of the school. Students will only walk through the gates when the 7:35 AM bell rings.
- Parents who are volunteering or have an appointment with the teacher must check in through the office, sign in, and get a visitor’s badge to wear.
- Kindergarten students enter through the Kindergarten gate. Kindergarten Orientation is Friday, August 26 at 3:00 PM.
- Preppy K students will enter the campus through the Preppy K gate. Preppy K orientation is Friday, August 26 at 11:00 AM.
- Students in grades 1-6 will be dismissed at 2:15 PM each day, except on Wednesdays which is an Early Release day. We ask that parents meet their child(ren) outside the gates each day. Thank you for helping us keep our school safe and orderly.
Back to School Night:
BTSN is Thursday, September 8 for grades 1-6 from 7:00 – 8:00 PM. This is a parents-only evening. Please join us at 6:30 PM in our MPR for a brief PTA Meeting and introduction of our staff. Preppy K and Kindergarten will have their BTSN on Thursday, September 1 from 5:00 – 6:00 PM. Look for more information regarding this evening on our school website soon.
Parents on Campus:
Brookhaven parents are a VALUABLE and important part of our school community and we look forward to continuing our partnership with you to ensure the success of all programs at our school. Brookhaven is a closed campus and in order to ensure student safety. All parents who are volunteering or have an appointment with the teacher must enter through the office, sign in, and get a visitor’s badge. Once children enter the school campus, they are under the protection and supervision of our school staff. For the safety of all children, the only adults inside the gates will be school staff or adults with a volunteer badge.
The price for a school lunch is $2.75. Milk is available for $0.50 and juice for $0.75. Parents may send cash or a check to school or setup a lunch account online for their child through our district website. More information will be sent home in the First Day packet.
Brookhaven Parent & Student Handbook:
Our school Handbook is available on our school website under the Resources tab. Please take a moment to review this important document with your child before the first day. Here you will find information regarding our school dress code, student discipline, our school bell schedule, and many other important items.
Our school and district calendar, as well as our bell schedule, are available on our school website. As a reminder, every Wednesday is an Early Release day and all students in grades 1-6 will be dismissed at 1:15 PM. PK and K students will continue their daily schedule as usual on Wednesdays. We will also have designated Minimum Days throughout the year and students will be dismissed at 12:45 PM. Reminders for Minimum Days will be posted on our website, Facebook page, and sent home via our Parentlink phone calls as a reminder to help you plan. Please be sure that you are on time to pick up your child on these Early Release and Minimum Days.
I’m looking forward to meeting you all soon!